We recently checked in with alumni from the Classes of 2010 and 2011, and we’re so proud of what our motivated graduates have accomplished after YouthBuild! Everyone is forging their own path, with successes behind them and new opportunities to come. Here are a few short updates on some of our graduates:
- Amika Miller (2011) – is currently enrolled in her second year at CCP and is pursuing an Associate’s degree in Human Services with the intention of transferring to Temple University to complete a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work. In addition to being a full-time mom and part-time home health aide, Amika is also a part-time AmeriCorps Alumni member for YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School.
- Jasmine Myers (2011) – is currently enrolled in her second year at CCP and is applying to the college’s Dual Admissions Program to transfer to a four-year college and obtain a Bachelor’s Degree in Registered Nursing. She participated in YouthBuild’s summer bridge program and has continuously attended CCP since then. She has maintained above a 3.0 GPA throughout her collegiate career and hopes to complete the Fall 2013 semester with a 4.0 GPA.
- Naja Bland (2011) – has worked full-time as a Certified Nursing Assistant and has been attending CCP full-time since graduating from YouthBuild. Naja is hoping to gain admission to CCP’s nursing program as she plans to graduate from CCP with an Associate’s Degree in Registered Nursing. Naja is also currently serving as a part-time AmeriCorps Alumni member for YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
- Jamal Dempsey (2011) – upon graduating from YouthBuild, Jamal obtained two part-time jobs which he maintained for nearly a year. During this time, Jamal also applied and was accepted to Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology. Jamal is now currently completing his first semester at Thaddeus and hopes to graduate in two years with his Associate’s degree.
- Tyrik Gass (2010) – attended Johnson College immediately upon completing YouthBuild’s program and graduated from Johnson College with his Associate’s degree this past May. After graduating, he obtained a full-time job at a juvenile detention center and will be enrolled at Wilmington University in the Spring of 2013 to pursue his Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management.
- Ayesha Hayes (2010) – has maintained full-time employment as a Certified Nursing Assistant since graduating from YouthBuild. In addition, she enrolled in and successfully completed the Medical Assistance program at the Pennsylvania Institute for Technology. Ayesha is now pursuing her Associate’s degree for Registered Nursing at CCP.
- Antonio Cruz (2010) – is currently employed at Walmart and has maintained full-time employment there since graduating from YouthBuild. During his time at Walmart, Antonio has been promoted twice and is now working in the Loss Prevention department. Antonio is also interested in pursuing a career as a fire fighter.