The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and virus that causes it (SARS-CoV-2) are top of mind for us here at YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School. As we continue to proactively manage our school through this global crisis, we’re focused on taking the right steps to protect the health and safety of our students and staff. This page includes information and guidance from our experts.
We will continue to work closely with the Pennsylvania Department of Health PA DOH and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC to ensure our commitment to the health and safety of our students and staff. This is a rapidly evolving situation and information will continue to be updated as it becomes available.
Face Coverings: All community members, including staff, students, alumni, and other visitors must wear a “face covering” from the nose to the chin that is secured to the head with ties, straps, or loops over the ears or is wrapped around the lower face. YouthBuild will have a consistent supply of masks for all community members on-site.
Social Distancing: All community member will be expected to social distance at all times; no exceptions. We’ve implemented measures across our school to ensure our students and staff can adhere to strict social distancing measures at all times.
- Social distancing 3ft to 6ft apart in person when in hallways and in classrooms.
- We’ve installed signage to help direct our staff and students when walking through the halls.
- To minimize group gatherings, we have reduced the size of our classrooms and staggered classroom schedules.
- We are providing our students and staff with complete personal protective equipment for working where social distancing is not possible.
- Cafeterias and break rooms have been adapted to make it easy for students and staff to respect social distancing.
Strict sanitizing measures: We’ve implemented strict sanitation protocols and we’re equipping our staff and students to support our efforts.
- Hand sanitizing stations outside of all classrooms, work stations and common areas.
- Deep cleaning classrooms and offices each night.
- In addition to increased cleaning across our school, we’ve provided cleaning supplies so that students and staff can disinfect their tools and workstations regularly throughout the day.
- Every space must be disinfected at the end of every class, meeting or gathering of staff or students. The teacher, instructor, or facilitator should wear gloves and be sure to clean and disinfect all surfaces including frequently touched areas.
- Examples of frequently touched areas in schools include:
- Classroom desks and chairs
- Office desks and chairs
- Meeting room tables and chairs
- Lunchroom tables and chairs
- Door handles and push plates
- Kitchen and bathroom faucets
- Light switches
- Buttons on vending machines and elevators
- Any shared supplies such as pens, markers, etc.
- Shared computer keyboards and mice
Health screenings and protocol for employees that may display symptoms
We’ve made it very clear: students and staff that display any COVID-19 symptoms must stay home, get tested and contact their local health authorities.
COVID-19 Symptoms include:
- Fever, cough, shortness of breath, abnormal sense of taste and smell, sore throat, muscle pain, headache, congestion, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Students and staff who begin to show symptoms or test positive for COVID-19, will be required to quarantine at home for at least 14 days from the last day of exposure.
Getting tested for COVID-19:
- YB Philly conducts free COVID-19 testing every Tuesday on-site from 8am to 10am.
- Testing takes place in our REP room.
- YB Philly now has a school nurse on-site who will be administering the vaccine to students and staff who are interested in receiving it.
Other resources include:
- DOCS Health – For testing sites available throughout the city. Monday through Friday 9:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- Philadelphia Fight –They have one neighborhood site per day – Monday through Thursday
- City of Philadelphia – Includes additional resources and information on local testing and vaccine sites
- Tang Pharmacy